Warm weather means many people in Stockport are opening windows and doors to keep cool – but there are now concerns over security.
We’re being warned not to leave valueables within reach as many burglaries are opportunistic.
The borough’s council is also reminding us to close windows and doors when leaving the house, even if it’s only for a few minutes.
It’s understood homes are more vulnerable to break-ins at this time of year.
Anyone going away on holiday is also being urged to have a friend or family member switch the lights on to make it look like someone’s home.
Stockport Council has issued a number of tips to improve security.
– Do not leave valuables or car keys by open windows and doors
– In your garden? Lock your doors and close your windows
– Double lock your doors using the key and make sure your windows are closed even if you are just popping out
– Do not leave tools/ladders easily accessible in your garden and make sure your shed is secure
– Going on holiday? Make it look like you’re at home
– Lock all windows and doors, cancel milk and papers
– Ask someone to keep an eye on your house while you are away
– Don’t advertise that you are going on holiday on social networking sites
Residents should remain on their guard, take small steps to keep safe and report any suspicious activity by ringing 101 or 999 in an emergency.